DEPRESSION – WHAT ARE THE SIGNS?
DEPRESSION – WHAT DO I LOOK OUT FOR?
Many of us at some point struggle with a low mood, perhaps feeling as though we’re unhappy with our lives as they currently are or feeling a lack of energy and enthusiasm for activities we once enjoyed. However when does a temporary low or deflated mood turn into depression?
Key signs that your low mood may be something requiring increased support include:
- Your low feelings last more than two weeks, with difficulty in shaking them off
- Everyday activities such as socialising, going to the shops or perhaps even getting out of bed, seem a lot harder than usual and take a lot of energy to achieve.
- A continued loss of pleasure in life, even doing things that used to make you happy
- Feelings of emptiness, despair or numbness
- Finding it difficult to talk or interacted with others, even those closest to us.
- Difficulty sleeping or sleeping a lot more than usual
- Loss of appetite or significantly increased appetite
Should you continue to experience any of the above over a prolonged period of time and life feels a bit ‘out of sync’ then it may be a good idea to book an appointment to see your GP to talk things through. If you find yourself needing someone to talk to, or wanting help to explore your thoughts and feelings when something doesn’t ‘feel right’, then this is where counselling can help.
Counselling sessions can offer you the space and time to work through low mood and depressive feelings in a relaxed and non-judgemental environment, alongside someone who is there to truly help you in a way that works best for you.
To find out more about private counselling, depression counselling and other services in Basingstoke for depression or low mood, contact Tony(Counsellor Basingstoke) via www.counsellortony.co.uk